Monday, February 9, 2009

The Grammys

It was a very interesting night at the Grammys on Sunday. Coldplay came out as the biggest winner and a stunning performance with Hova to boot. UK songstress, Adele came out as victor and surprisingly as best new artist. Jennifer Hudson dominated a beautiful performance. You can tell her bravery came into play as the tears fell from her cheeks. I was flabbergasted when MIA came out pregnant with a skimpy outfit on when she did Swagger Like Us with 4 credible Emcees; speaking of which, 4 emcees came out with the intention of setting Grammy history with a Hip-Hop summit. Kanye West, Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, and T.I looked like young business men in their prime decimating the stage setting an image youngsters should always acquire. Paying homage for the Fourtops was Ne-yo, Smokey Robinson, Jamie Foxx, and Abdul "Duke"Fakir. Justin Timberlake and Al Green were amazing on stage. T.I and Timberlake set the tone for the last half of the show while Wayne and Robin Thicke set a lasting message in our heart of New Orleans and the endless talent they possessed. Katy Perry was well....Katy Perry. Bono did amazing as the opening act for the show. Much respect!

However, what made it a little bit...bad to me were certain things like Lil Wayne winning best Rap Album. I understand why it was nominated, but against monumental works of art like The Cool, and Nigger; against lyrical and great productions of American Gangster and Paper Trail, that album shouldn't be even close to winning. It depressed me that his album was picked among 4 other pieces that obviously should have gotten that grammy nod. although I gave MIA props in the first paragraph, I'm still mad that she came out knowing she was expecting a child that same day. Maybe she wanted to tell the child "Hey! you performed with me at the Grammys! Isn't that cool?" but I still thought it was stupid. Four words. Miley. Cyrus. can't. sing. Kanye West was pretty dope, but what the fuck was he wearing on stage with Estelle??? He looked like a bootleg Micheal Jackson. His haircut had no reason for it to exist! I expected more from my dude Ye because I take from him I his style of clothing but not yesterday! Stevie Wonder is pretty dope, who put him together with the Jonas Brothers? They were going hard when everything Stevie does defines smooth and soulful. I felt they were destorying everything that Stevie was trying to do on that stage. Not a good look. Katy Perry was..well...Katy Perry...lol.

All in all, everything at the Grammys was cool, but not cool at the same time. Rap finally got recognized as one of the greatest genres but was quickly taken away with a horrible pick for a Grammy nod, UK artists are the shit! But Chris Brown became the stereotype of a crazy black man and hit Pop singer, Rihanna for whatever reason. Even outfits weren't all that great. But what can you say? All of these elements make up the Grammys. I LOVE IT NO MATTER WHAT!!!

Peace

Luv

And Hip Hop Soul......................

1 comment:

  1. This was very entertaining, Kyle. You should consider writing for the FTC Newsletter. :D I agree. Katy Perry was....Katy Perry. And, What the HELL IN THIS WORLD WERE THEY THINKING BY PUTTING STEVIE WONDER WITH THE JONAS BROTHERS! I wanted to cry. Unnecessary! ANYWAY, talk to you later little bro!

    ReplyDelete